Want to make your own films and see them on the big screen?
We’re looking for 15 budding filmmakers aged 12-15 yrs living in Blackpool to take part in Blackpool’s first BFI film club.
- A filmmaking group for 12-15 year olds.
- 6 April 2021 – 19 June 2021
- 10 sessions and a showcase event
You’ll learn how films are made and with help from our industry professionals you’ll try your hand at lots of different skills including scriptwriting, model-making, filming on location, cinematography and video editing.
Your final film will be shown at a big showcase event and you’ll be able to invite all your friends and family.
Sessions also include workshops from Aardman Animations as well as a cinema trip. Plus, you’ll receive cinema vouchers when you screen your film at the final showcase event.
This is a great opportunity to try out creative filming techniques using a variety of kit. With plenty of expert guidance, you’ll pick up some handy skills that will make your films stand out, whether you’re completely new to filmmaking or pretty experienced.
The sessions will run from Tuesday 8 April (Easter Holidays) to Saturday 19 June 2021 and will are supported by qualified youth workers from the Magic Club Blackpool.
- Tues 6 April, ONLINE
- Thurs 8 April, ONLINE
- Weds 21 April, ONLINE
- Weds 5 May, ONLINE
- Weds 12 May, ONLINE
- Sat 22 May
- Sat 29 May
- Tues 1 June
- Thurs 3 June
- Sat 12 June
- Sat 19 June
If we can’t carry out face-to-face sessions due to covid, they will be held online. We will provide the necessary resources.
Face to face sessions (22 May onwards) will run from 10am – 1pm, you’re also welcome to stay for lunch which runs from 1-2pm.
How do I sign up?
The deadline for applications is midnight on Sunday 4 April 2021.
What will I get out of it?
By taking part in the BFI Film Club, you’ll:
- Explore all aspects of hands-on filmmaking helping you to develop your practical knowledge and skills working alongside industry professionals who are respected practitioners in their field.
- Work with other young people to make new films that will be screened at a big showcase event.
- Meet industry experts such as directors, writers, costume makers.
- Watch a range of films and gain a real insight into the exciting world of cinema. Finding out what skills and experience you need to be part of the future film industry.
- Become part of the BFI Film Club Alumni and access exclusive opportunities, advice and professional development after the course has finished.
Who can join?
To join the club you must:
- Be aged 12–15 years old on the first day of the course
- Be based in Blackpool
- Have an interest in filmmaking
- Be able to commit to the duration of the course (11 sessions between Tuesday 6 April to Saturday 19 June 2021).
Where is it?
The first five sessions will take part online. We will send you any materials needed for you to take part in the activities. The following sessions will be delivered face-to-face at The Old Electric on Springfield Road, Blackpool. There will also be visits to the cinema and to special filming locations – you will receive details on sign up.
Is it expensive?
This activity is free for young people living in Blackpool.
There is also additional help for those that need it:
- We provide a sandwich lunch at our face-to-face sessions
- We have a small fund available for transport costs, e.g. bus fares
This is a British Film Institute Film Club. This project is supported by the BFI and funded by the National Lottery and DCMS.