Film articles/blog posts for the new Winter Gardens Film Festival website
Deadline: Wednesday 26 November 2021
Value: £100 per article
After 6 fabulous years of screenings and events, we are re-launching our film festival website in December 2021!
This is a fantastic opportunity to get your work published and accessible to a diverse North West audience.
What are we looking for?
We’re searching for writers to submit a piece that explores any of the following themes:
- A black and white film
- Blackpool’s film heritage or its current scene
- The work of an actor, director, filmmaker
- An artist working with moving image
- A film genre or movement
- An aspect of filmmaking
- Your personal film story/practice
Your piece can be in the form of a review, a short critique essay, a photo essay, a top 5 (or top 10) or a similar piece of text that you think could be suited to our website and audience. We are flexible with the word limit, but would recommend a minimum of 600 words.
Original, personal and/or expert perspectives on a film subject
An accessible writing style that can appeal to a wide audience
Well researched pieces, please include references to sources such as links to videos, articles etc.
A clear interest in or love of the subject matter
You are more than welcome to include images and videos but these must be cleared for use.
What will you get?
We’ll pay you £100 for your work. You’ll receive this once we’ve agreed on a final draft and after you’ve sent us an invoice. Please note that due to funding requirements this opportunity is only open to UK residents.
How to pitch
- A pitch of up to 500 words, giving
- An outline of your idea
- Describe what you’ll write about
- Why you want to write about this
- Ideally your pitch will be original and will reflect your writing style.
- An outline of your idea
- A brief bio telling us a bit about yourself and your interest in film
- Links to any previous pieces of writing. This can be on any arts or cultural subject matter. If you don’t have anything online, please send us an attachment.
You do not need to be an experienced writer. We’re happy to hear new voices including those who haven’t been published before as well as experts.
As the website goes live in December, we are looking for pieces to publish between then and March 2022. Ideally, your work will be current during Winter 2021/Spring 2022 or will not go out of date.
- Submissions close: Friday 26 November 2021
- Notified whether pitch is successful
- Deadline for your first draft agreed
- We’ll review the draft with you and make any editing suggestions.
- Final draft submitted
- Invoice submitted and paid
- Publication on website/social media promotion/mailing list distribution
If you have any questions about the opportunity, please email us or contact us on [email protected] or through our social media channels.
Header Image: Saoirse Ronan as Jo in Little Women (2019), dir Greta Gerwig. Sony Pictures Releasing